Friday, December 10, 2010

We're Livin' on the Web

[NERD ALERT: This blog is more about technology than ministry. Proceed at your own risk. :-)]

   I've recently been intrigued by the concept behind Google's new computer operating system, Chrome OS. In a nutshell, the idea is that the only thing most people really need a computer for anymore is to connect to the Internet through a browser. My initial reaction was skeptical but recently I've been testing that theory and finding that I really can accomplish probably 90% of what I might ever want to do through the Internet now.

   From a purely work perspective, there are the obvious communication tools I already use like e-mail, Facebook, Skype, etc. There are even some really good Bible study resources like YouVersion and Biblia (which works with my Logos software). I also stay up on devotions, ministry, culture, and news with Google Reader. When I'm going to visit someone or planning a trip, Google Maps and the Weather Channel are handy. If I need to make a document or spreadsheet or presentation I generally use OpenOffice (not as good as Microsoft Office, but free), but I could use Google Docs (though it's clearly more limited). If I need to do some more advanced graphics for a promotion or website I generally use GIMP (a free Photoshop program) or for audio editing I use Audacity (another freebie) but recently discovered a free service called Aviary that has some pretty amazing web-based apps for those things. Now I can even make and receive calls and text message from Google Voice. (Do I sound like an infomercial yet?)

   As for the other 10% it boils down to two major roadblocks I see to doing everything on the Internet through a browser. The first is storage of all my current documents, photos, music, movies, etc. Many of the web services I listed above come with some free storage space, but nowhere near the amount you'd need to have everything available all the time, and that's assuming you want all your stuff floating around out in cyberspace. You can find web services that specialize in providing online storage like Box.net but it'd be cheaper (and more secure) to buy a portable hard drive or use built in storage on your computer, not to mention significantly faster when you are dealing with large files like photos, music or videos. Think of how long would it take you to upload 2 GB of photos from your camera, even on a high speed connection.

   The other big obstacle for me is iTunes and my iPod touch. I don't consider myself an Apple fanboy, even though I grew up using Macs more than Windows computers, and my first and only major computer purchase (everything else I've inherited :-D) was a PowerBook G4. I use iTunes a lot though and my iPod touch has been one of the best ministry tools I've found. While I won't pretend that I use it exclusively for work (I've got 4 folders worth of games), it's hard to beat that little box for keeping me organized, connected, learning and worshiping throughout the day. I can keep many things, like my calendar and contacts, synced through a wi-fi connection, but it'd be a big loss to not be able to have a way to load music, sermons, audiobooks, etc. If either iTunes had some way of syncing content online or someone offered a really good iPod touch alternative (an Android iPod perhaps) this may not be that big of a deal.

   How about you? Do you think you could begin doing everything you do on a computer through the internet? If you want to try it out for yourself check out some of the web services listed above and if you are up for the challenge see what it's like to spend a week doing all your work online. If you want a taste of the Chrome OS experience you can download the Chrome browser and check out their Web Apps Store to see what all you can do through the browser. I went so far as to fill out an application for our church (well probably just me) to test their new CR-48 laptop as part of their pilot program.

   I've spent all this time blogging about this here because I think we're all going to move in this direction of people doing more and more from the web. That might make computers cheaper and easier to use for all ages. Even older computers would be reborn as useful if all they have to do is run a browser. In many ways that is exciting to me because there is so much opportunity that I think is being missed by those or are too intimidated by the complexities of computers to use them effectively to reach this generation. A generation that is increasingly livin' on the web.

(ok, here's the last link of the day for all the Aerosmith fans out there who picked up on my Living on the Edge nod)

-Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment